Sunday, May 9, 2010

On Becoming a Mother...

I have waited so long for this day.

10 months ago, every day seemed to be filled with anxiety and uncertainty. Injections, patches, ultrasounds - it seemed never ending and in moments when I thought our luck would never take a turn for the better, I reminded myself of the end goal and I pushed forward. Always praying, always hoping.

And here I am today.

This morning, at 5:00 a.m., I held my son to my breast and looked into his eyes. I stroked his cheek and I cried.

But this time, they were tears of joy.

Because I had waited so long for this day - and it had finally come.

Every year, DH and I used to host my family's Mother's Day dinner at our house....the theory being that my sister and my mom deserved the night off, and because I wasn't a mother, I could do the cooking and the hostessing. But this year, things were different...

We went out for dinner last evening, and my sister and mom embraced me so warmly. They whispered, "Happy Mother's Day". And it felt so nice. I have become a Mother.

I have been given a wonderful gift - a little one who touches my heart and soul every day. And I will never, ever squander this opportunity - because this incredibly elusive gift was so hard to get. Of all the blessings that I count on a daily basis, this one is the very best.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds lovely. So glad you're not te host this year!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers Day SR!! I am so happy for you.

~BabyO