Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Musings on a Wednesday...

So, I just got home from seeing "Juno" - and I was sooo looking forward to it, as everyone said it was a great flick! Turns out, they were right - but nobody warned me that it wasn't "infertility" friendly!! Let me explain...

For those of you who haven't seen or heard of it, "Juno" is a great little movie about a teenage pregnancy. It has some totally hilarious moments, but also some bits that really affected me. First of all, they showed the girl's positive hpt...and I thought to myself "Oh! That's what it looks like!" God knows I've never seen one before! One of the girls I was with (who is eight months pregnant) said "Ahhh! Brings back memories..." and I felt sad...

Secondly, the girl gets pregnant having sex in a chair. If I had known that would work, DH and I would've given our lazy-boy more of a workout!! Don't they always say that that is one of the worst positions you can be in if you want to conceive?

There is one scene where the teenager is complaining to the adoptive mother of her baby (played by Jennifer Garner) about being pregnant - and she says to her something like "You're lucky you're not the one pregnant." A look of sorrow passes quickly across Jennifer Garner's face, then just as quickly as it came, it disappeared. This made me cry - I totally felt her pain! I have had sooo many moments exactly like that in my life.

It was actually kinda hard to watch Jennifer's Garner's character play out on the screen...she seemed not to want to get too close to Juno or her baby...likely for fear that the adoption wouldn't go through. She seemed so guarded and I felt so sorry for her.

Gawd - can't I just enjoy a movie without all of these emotions? I'm pathetic.

I must say, I am in a total blue funk right now. It's hard to come to the realization that I can't have a baby the "regular way". I'm scared of the IVF. I'm scared of getting my hopes up. I'm scared it won't work. I'm scared DH and I will have to make some decisions if, at the end of the journey, we come home empty-handed...

No comments: