Friday, September 12, 2008

Fabulous Friday...


Okay, the title of this post sounds a little happier and a bit more optimistic than the last post, doesn't it? Here's why -

Following my sad news on Monday, I decided that I would throw caution to the wind and see my old acupuncturist again for a good old poking session. So I headed there Tuesday evening with great determination, sat down with her and explained my situation to her at length, then hopped up on the old table for my treatment. She went all out for me that night - not only did she put in the needles, but she also hooked me up to electro-stimulators and turned a heat lamp on my kidneys. Turns out that the kidneys have a direct impact/link to the ovaries, so warming them up was supposed to have a positive effect on blood flow and follicle growth. The electro-stimming was kinda cool - I could feel the small pulsating on my back as the machine sent charges through my system.

Well - it all worked like a charm. Yesterday's ultrasound yielded more favourable numbers - ranging from 1.2 to 1.8! It may just be me, but that seems to be pretty significant growth for those follies!! We aren't working with any more follicles, but the ones that I have are certainly doing well. I was so relieved.

We had the pleasure of getting our ultrasound conducted by the Director of our clinic - great, great man. Gentle, funny and so encouraging. He asked me whether or not I had talked with my ovaries about "smartening up", which made me giggle. He seems to know how to add levity to a tense situation. He did admit that five follicles was a bit low for what they like to see in an IVF cycle, and I broached the subject of converting to an IUI. He then admitted that five was a little "generous" for an IUI, as there is the fear that four or five eggs would release and we would end up with quads...(that sounds heavenly to me right about now, but I am only being facetious...I know that that would be totally dangerous for all involved...)

DH and I are still hoping for the IUI - we know that we don't want to do the IVF cycle with such a small number of follies, and I don't want these last two months to be all for naught. We are keeping fingers crossed. My next u/s is tomorrow morning, and that is when we will be making our final decision as well.

I want to give a special thanks to my lovely IF friends who leave me messages on my posts - your encouragement and inspiration mean the world to me. It makes such a difference to hear from ladies who have been there and know exactly what it's like to deal with infertility...please know that I think about all of you and include you in my prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Springroll,

Just wanted to let you know that I did an IUI with anywhere between 3-5 eggies. My fs wouldn't let us proceed unless we agreed to reduce if we ended up with more than two- but he was willing to proceed (we ended up with a bfn, but hopefully you will have better luck). So I hope you can convert to an IUI.

Good luck!
Turia.

Jennielynn said...

Hi Springroll,
I am so glad that you got to speak with and see the Director of the clinic. I have my fingers and toes crossed for your u/s tomorrow. I will say an extra prayer tonight too. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Jennielynn